Skip to main content

January 28, 2018

From The New York Times (Robert Coover on "What books are on your nightstand?"):
“The Blue Guitar,” by John Banville, “The Accidental Mind,” by David J. Linden, “4 3 2 1,” by Paul Auster, several issues of Dædalus (currently reading the “Russia Beyond Putin” and “The Changing Rules of War” issues, but there are others in the stack) and “Zero K,” by Don DeLillo. Just finished Richard Powers’s brilliant “Orfeo.” Masterpiece.

From The Guardian (Salman Rushdie on "The book I am currently reading"):
I recently visited the old mansion where Thomas Mann’s Buddenbrooks was set, that great house with the words “Dominus providebit” inscribed over the front door, and was immediately inspired to download the novel on to my iPad and plunge in. The pleasure of re-reading Buddenbrooks was so deep that I resolved to embark on a year of re-readings, which is why I now find myself about halfway through the first book of Don Quixote, in the terrific Edith Grossman translation. This is proving to be a more complicated encounter. On the one hand, the characters of Quixote and Sancho Panza are as beautifully realised as I remember them, and the idea of a man determinedly seeing the world according to his own vision, in spite of all evidence to the contrary, feels strikingly contemporary. On the other hand, how many more times are the Knight of the Dolorous Countenance and Sancho going to get beaten up and left in pain in various roadside ditches? The “greatest novel ever written” – I voted for it myself once – turns out to be just a little bit repetitive. To make the reading easier, I’m breaking it up and reading other books by other authors after every couple of hundred pages of Cervantes. At present, that interposed book is David Grossman’s wonderful A Horse Walks into a Bar.

From The Guardian (Salman Rushdie on "The book that influenced my writing"):
When I was starting out, long before I published anything, I fell under the spell of Pynchon’s mammoth novel Gravity’s Rainbow. I wrote an entire draft of a novel called The Antagonist, set mainly in Ladbroke Grove, which was such an obvious pastiche of the mighty Tom as to be unpublishable. Fortunately, I worked this out in time, and never submitted it. The typescript now languishes among my papers in the archives of Emory University in Atlanta, where scholarly masochists can read it, if they must. These days I have, I think, shaken off Pynchon’s influence. However, thanks to a favourable review I wrote of one of his later novels, I was able to meet the famously invisible man. I had dinner with him at Sonny Mehta’s apartment in Manhattan and found him very satisfyingly Pynchonesque. At the end of dinner I thought, well, now we’re friends, and maybe we’ll see each other from time to time. He never called again.

From The Guardian (Salman Rushdie on "The book that is most underrated"):
Juan Rulfo’s only novel, Pedro Páramo, is recognised as a classic in the original Spanish, but many English-language readers seem unaware of it. This is the novel Gabriel García Márquez read so many times he claimed to have memorised it, and in Rulfo’s phantasmal Comala we clearly see the origins of Macondo.

From The Guardian (Salman Rushdie on "The book that changed my mind"):
I can think of books that made little explosions in my mind, showing me literary possibilities I hadn’t dreamed of until I read them. James Joyce’s Ulysses was one such book. Jorge Luis Borges’s Fictions (Ficciones) was another, and three stories from that collection, “Death and the Compass”, “Funes the Memorious” and “The Garden of Forking Paths” have never left me, and still help me to think about what I’m doing, or might do, or should never try to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 16, 2018

From  CEPR Discussion Paper : Creativity is often highly concentrated in time and space, and across different domains. What explains the formation and decay of clusters of creativity? In this paper we match data on thousands of notable individuals born in Europe between the XIth and the XIXth century with historical data on city institutions and population. After documenting several stylized facts, we show that the formation of creative clusters is not preceded by increases in city size. Instead, the emergence of city institutions protecting economic and political freedoms facilitates the attraction and production of creative talent. From Harper's : Business researchers posited that busyness has replaced leisure as a marker of prestige for Americans, constituting “an alternative kind of conspicuous consumption that operates by shifting the focus from the preciousness and scarcity of goods to the preciousness and scarcity of individuals.” From Harper's : Among Germans,...

January 02, 2018

From Harper's : Racists in the United States support free-speech rights for racist speech, but not for speech critical of their co-workers or the police. From The Economist : Affluent parents intensively nurture their children for success; the offspring of less fortunate homes fall far behind before they ever set foot in a school. From The Economist : Helpfully, some European countries have begun to offer civil unions for heterosexuals. (Gay couples already had that option.) They confer nearly all the rights of marriage but entail less of the intimidating hoopla. These now account for a fifth of new formal unions in the Netherlands, and more in some working-class districts. They have not undermined marriage so far. It is a small fix for a huge problem, but it might help. From The Guardian (John Banville on "The book that changed my life/the world"): The Catechism of the Catholic Church. It had all the answers; it told you what simony is, and why you will go...

February 05, 2018

From The Economist : Older generations have been complaining about the state of young people’s writing since a teacher of Sumerian complained about his charges 4,000 years ago. (“A junior scribe...does not pay attention to the scribal art.”) From The Economist : [Two] letters can add up to a lot of money. No area of technology is hotter than AI, or artificial intelligence. Venture-capital investment in AI in the first nine months of 2017 totalled $7.6bn, according to PitchBook, a data provider; that compares with full-year figures of $5.4bn in 2016. In the year to date there have been $21.3bn in AI-related M&A deals, around 26 times more than in 2015. In earnings calls public companies now mention AI far more often than “big data”. From The New York Times : As the longevity entrepreneur Arram Sabeti told The New Yorker: “The proposition that we can live forever is obvious. It doesn’t violate the laws of physics, so we can achieve it.” Of all the slightly creepy aspects to...