Skip to main content

December 17, 2017

From Harper's:
Researchers found that applying testosterone gel to men asked to trade stocks led to asset-price bubbles.

From The Economist:
Virtual reality will never be as widespread as the smartphone, but it will be influential.

From The Economist:
Technology is improving. Whether reality does too depends on the technologists in charge and the power of society to shape their vision.

From The New York Times (Jason Segel on "What’s the last great book you read?"):
I recently fell in love with Neil Gaiman’s “The Graveyard Book.” I read it over two nights right before bed and cried when I finished. I cried partly because the ending was so beautiful, but also because the experience of reading it was over. I’m jealous of people who get to discover it for the first time.

From The New York Times (Jason Segel on "What’s your favorite book no one else has heard of?"):
I’m quite certain I’ve never read a book that no one has heard of. That said, the book I have read most often isn’t a particularly sexy read so I think it satisfies the question. Every time I start a project I re-skim a book called “The Writer’s Journey” by Christopher Vogler. It is a reinterpretation of Joseph Campbell’s works — “The Hero’s Journey” and “The Hero With a Thousand Faces” — pointed toward practical writing advice. It is filled with things you already know, which is sort of the point, only lined up in highly helpful ways to construct your story. I read it for the first time at 18 and have used it for reference ever since.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 16, 2018

From  CEPR Discussion Paper : Creativity is often highly concentrated in time and space, and across different domains. What explains the formation and decay of clusters of creativity? In this paper we match data on thousands of notable individuals born in Europe between the XIth and the XIXth century with historical data on city institutions and population. After documenting several stylized facts, we show that the formation of creative clusters is not preceded by increases in city size. Instead, the emergence of city institutions protecting economic and political freedoms facilitates the attraction and production of creative talent. From Harper's : Business researchers posited that busyness has replaced leisure as a marker of prestige for Americans, constituting “an alternative kind of conspicuous consumption that operates by shifting the focus from the preciousness and scarcity of goods to the preciousness and scarcity of individuals.” From Harper's : Among Germans,...

January 02, 2018

From Harper's : Racists in the United States support free-speech rights for racist speech, but not for speech critical of their co-workers or the police. From The Economist : Affluent parents intensively nurture their children for success; the offspring of less fortunate homes fall far behind before they ever set foot in a school. From The Economist : Helpfully, some European countries have begun to offer civil unions for heterosexuals. (Gay couples already had that option.) They confer nearly all the rights of marriage but entail less of the intimidating hoopla. These now account for a fifth of new formal unions in the Netherlands, and more in some working-class districts. They have not undermined marriage so far. It is a small fix for a huge problem, but it might help. From The Guardian (John Banville on "The book that changed my life/the world"): The Catechism of the Catholic Church. It had all the answers; it told you what simony is, and why you will go...

February 05, 2018

From The Economist : Older generations have been complaining about the state of young people’s writing since a teacher of Sumerian complained about his charges 4,000 years ago. (“A junior scribe...does not pay attention to the scribal art.”) From The Economist : [Two] letters can add up to a lot of money. No area of technology is hotter than AI, or artificial intelligence. Venture-capital investment in AI in the first nine months of 2017 totalled $7.6bn, according to PitchBook, a data provider; that compares with full-year figures of $5.4bn in 2016. In the year to date there have been $21.3bn in AI-related M&A deals, around 26 times more than in 2015. In earnings calls public companies now mention AI far more often than “big data”. From The New York Times : As the longevity entrepreneur Arram Sabeti told The New Yorker: “The proposition that we can live forever is obvious. It doesn’t violate the laws of physics, so we can achieve it.” Of all the slightly creepy aspects to...